This article will show you how to add or remove the Security tab in the Options of Windows Media Player for all users in Windows 7 and Vista but will not work on Windows XP.
You must be logged in as an administrator to be able to do this tutorial.
If removed, any settings made in the Security tab prior to being removed will still be used.
Even if removed, users can still change security and zone settings by using Internet Explorer security zone settings unless these settings have been hidden or disabled by Internet Explorer policies as well.
Security Tab in Windows Media Player Options
You would click on Tools (menu bar) and Options in Windows Media Player to see this.
Through the Local Group Policy Editor
1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.
2. In the left pane, click on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Media Player, and User Interface. (see screenshot below)
3. In the right pane, right click on Hide Security Tab and click on Edit. (see screenshot above)
4. To Add "Security" Tab in Windows Media Player Options
A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled. (see screenshot below step 6)
Not Configured is the default setting.
B) Go to step 6.
5. To Remove "Security" Tab in Windows Media Player Options
A) Select (dot) Enabled. (see screenshot below step 6)
6. Click on OK. (see screenshot below)
7. Close the Local Group Policy Editor window.
8. If open, close and reopen Windows Media Player options to see the changes.