Move the Show Desktop Icon to Taskbar in Windows 7
Pin Show Desktop Icon to the Taskbar
You might not care to get the Quick Launch icon back in Windows 7, but would like to pin the icon to the Taskbar where you want it. Unfortunately the process isn’t as easy as a simple drag and drop.
- Right-click the Desktop and select Text Document.
- Now name it Show Desktop.exe and click Yes when the warning message comes up.
Note: You will need to have file extensions viewable in order for this to work.
- Right-click on the dummy exe file we just made and select Pin to Taskbar.
- Now create your own Show Desktop icon by typing or pasting the following code into Notepad.
When you save it, make sure to select All Files in Notepad.
- Then save it as Show Desktop.scf and place it in the following folder.
C:\Users\computername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
Note: If you don’t see the folders like AppData make sure you have Show hidden files, folders, and drives selected in Folder Options.
- Next right-click on the Show Desktop.exe icon we pinned to the Taskbar, then right-click Show Desktop and select Properties.
- Enter the following into the Target field under the Shortcut tab.
C:\Users\computername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\Show Desktop.scf
Note: In the path change “computername” to the actual name of your computer for both steps.